Race Date: 31st May 2020
Think you’ve got what it takes to tackle the 16-mile trail run? This unique course starts near the iconic Ribblehead Viaduct and takes on difficult climbs, valleys, limestone trails and river paths along the Ribble Way.
*Please note, all routes are approximate and subject to change.
Start: Ribblehead Viaduct
Finish: North Ribblesdale Rugby Club
Perfect for: Experienced trail-runners and those wanting to take on a new challenge
- The 16-mile starts with a wide and fast road section for the first mile-and-a-half travelling South toward Hunter Hill.
- The course changes to wide farm track, descending towards the bridges at Nether Lodge and passing over the River Ribble.
- At 2.5 miles, the terrain changes again; climbing the Ribble Way over God’s Bridge and climbing up the limestone landscape. Glance back at the top of the climb for spectacular views of Whernside and the Ribblehead Viaduct and the 3 miles already travelled.
- Travelling to the North of the trees above High Birkwith, the Ribble Way drops onto the Limestone pavement with views towards Ingleborough.
- A short challenging section takes walkers over and around a valley with a steep ascent to continue on wide and flat grass sections travelling towards Sell Gill.
- At around the 6-mile point, The Ribble Way and the Pennine Way combine – a challenging section for the first 200m of the descent towards Horton-in-Ribblesdale (and a strong recommendation to treat this section with caution!)
- Having crossed the road at the designated point; runners continue towards the River Ribble, taking the narrow river path for the next 2 miles before taking the road for a half-mile leading to Helwith Bridge.
- This is followed by a challenging climb up Moor Head Lane before the section of flat marshland ahead. The course then descends through fields into Stainforth Village just before the 12-mile mark.
- After crossing under the bridge, the course takes a steep descent on Dog Hill Brow and over the bridge, which sits just above Stainforth Force Waterfall. It is worth a pause under the tree cover to take this in before proceeding along the Ribble to Stackhouses, where the 16-mile route joins the 5-mile route at the weir crossing before climbing up through Langcliffe and the final descent onto the winding streets of Settle.
Event timings: All entrants are to register at North Ribblesdale Rugby Club and will be taken via bus to the official race start at Ribbleshead. Shuttle bus timing to be confirmed in event race guide.
- Registration - 7:15am to 07:45am
- Event Start time - 09:00am
- Downloadable map/guide
- Official event timing and results
- Coach from Lower Greenfoot Car Park (next to North Ribblesdale Rugby Club) to the start point at Ribblehead Viaduct
- Course will be waymarked at key points, but participants will be expected to navigate the designated route
- Checkpoints include water container re-fill opportunities, refuelling and toilet provision
- Warm welcome back at the finish, where you will receive a finisher’s medal
- A warm breakfast sandwich and drink is available for an additional cost
- A hot meal can be pre-ordered for when you've completed the run, for an additional cost
- Printed route map/guide