13.1 reasons to take on a half marathon
16 August 2022
16 August 2022
Running a half marathon is a huge achievement, and the next half marathon we have coming up is the Sheffield Half Marathon on Sunday 26th March. That's right, South Yorkshire's biggest event of it's kind is just under 5 months away! So we thought we'd give you our top reasons to sign up.
The clock's ticking, so we thought we'd give you our top reasons to sign up while you still can!
1. You'll feel great about yourself. Many runners find themselves chasing a runner's high - an effect of running making you feel powerful and happy.
2. Running boosts your immune system. This study found that exercise "improves defence activity and metabolic health" and reduces your risk of illness.
3. And can improve your mental health. An analysis of 23 studies concluded that exercise is an effective intervention for depression.
4. You might even live longer. This study found that, on average, runners live three years longer than non-runners.
5. You already know how to run. It sounds silly, but with many hobbies like basketball or crochet, you have to learn a whole new skill. With running, it's intuitive - just tie up your trainers and go!
6. It's a challenging goal, but still achievable. You might be thinking "sure, I like running - but 13.1 miles?". However, this is a huge accomplishment and for many runners it's a big step up. You'll feel amazing afterwards.
7. No one can ever take it away from you. Once it's done, that means for the rest of your LIFE you can look back on that half marathon you ran. How good is that?
8. Enjoy the community spirit. Ask any runner their favourite things about running, and they're sure to mention "the community". What better way to experience that than at a popular and supportive running event?
9. It's an event hosted by a longstanding and popular organisation. We've been hosting half marathons, and more around the UK for over 15 years! I think it's safe to say that we know how to host a great half marathon.
10. You'll be able to rationalise buying new trainers. When you're putting in all those extra miles each week, you may as well buy those new shoes you've been eyeing up...
11. You'll get to experience our first event in Ipswich. And we hope to do many more! But you'll always be able to say "I was at the very first Ipswich Half hosted by Run For All."
12. It won't take all day. You'll be able to get up, run a half marathon, and still have time to explore all the other great things Ipswich has to offer.
13. You'll get a goody bag. Including a finishers t-shirt, snacks, and that all-important bling to commemorate your achievement. Did someone say #MedalMonday?!
(Point) 1. OK, we need a small reason for this last one so let's just say this: why not? There's nothing stopping you - get out there and go for it this summer!
Convinced? Sign up for the Sheffield Half Marathon here