Meet our Derbion Ram 5 Mile Runner: Kelly
9 May 2023
9 May 2023
Kelly Edges, who is taking part in this June’s Derbion Ram 5 Mile, is set to put her running shoes on and take part in the event for the first time.
We catch up with Kelly, who is a security team leader at Derbion, the East Midlands’ leading retail and leisure destination and also the title sponsor of the Derbion Ramathon, RAM 5 Mile and Team Challenge, all of which take place on Sunday 4th June 2023.
Check out our Q&A with Kelly below.
1. What made you decide that you wanted to take part in the Ram 5 Mile?
I decided to set myself a challenge and push myself out of my comfort zone, and thought the Ram 5 Mile would do just that! I was also keen to get fitter and knew the training in the lead up to the race would also help me achieve this goal.
2. How long have you been running for and have you took part in the event before?
I haven’t actually ran this far since leaving school many years ago so I definitely know it will be a challenge, but I’m sure a very rewarding one!
3. What has your training regime been like?
I’ve been going to the gym often and working on getting fitter but also trying not to put too much pressure on myself.
4. How have you fitted in training with your day to day job?
Luckily, I train on my days off work, so it’s been a breeze!
5. What are your top training tips?
I’m certainly a novice so I’m not sure if I have any tips as such – come back to me when I’ve finished the race!
6. Are you raising funds for a particular charity? How can we donate?
Yes, we’re aiming to raise £1,000 to support our Derbion Cares charity of the year: Children First Derby by running the Derbion Ramathon. The charity aims to relieve the distress and suffering of children in the local area by providing life-changing support to vulnerable children, young people and families.
If you would like to donate, head to our JustGiving crowdfunding page to help us reach our goal.
7. What is on your running playlist?
I’m planning on listening to a big 80s playlist – quite old school but I know it will help me get through the race!
8. Do you have a pre-run ritual?
I’m planning to spend the day before resting and fuelling up on good food ready for the run the following day.
9. What is the best thing about taking part?
To have achieved the challenge I set myself and having done something completely out of my comfort zone.
10. How will you celebrate at the end of the run?
I imagine a lot of rest (and potentially a cheeky cocktail or two!).